Savory Pizza Oat Bake
This savory oat bake combines classic Italian flavors for a pizza-like bite! It’s packed with nutritious ingredients like sprouted rolled oats and vegetables and makes for a great brunch or lunch option for the whole family!
My son loves oats. From his morning oatmeal to his oat ball snacks to blueberry oat muffins, this kid can’t get enough oats.
Like mother like son, I guess! As you know, I start each morning with a large bowl of Super Seed Oatmeal and frequently use oats in all of my favorite recipes – 4-ingredient cookies, Gluten-Free Banana Belgian Waffles, Lemon Chia Pancakes – the list goes on and on.
There’s a reason I love oats so much – not only are they incredibly nutritious, packing about 6 grams of plant-based protein per half cup and 4 grams of fiber — they’re an excellent vehicle for other nourishing ingredients like seeds, nuts, fruit, and veggies.
I typically use oats to make sweet dishes, but I decided to think out of the box for this one and create a savory oat dish.
This pizza-inspired oat bake is made with classic Italian ingredients including marinara sauce, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, and sun-dried tomatoes for major flavor and nourishment.
For this recipe, I used One Degree Organics certified gluten-free, glyphosate-free Sprouted Rolled Oats. I love their oats because they’re sprouted, which makes minerals like iron and zinc more bioavailable. This is incredibly important for plant-based dieters and children, as these important minerals are harder to absorb from plant-based sources.
Another way to increase the bioavailability of these nutrients is by adding vitamin C – which is abundant in tomatoes!
Try this as a unique breakfast alternative at your next brunch or as a savory dinner side dish.
It also makes for a great baby-led weaning meal as little ones can pick up big chunks with their palms. My son devoured it by the fistful!
You can find the full recipe here or print it out below!
- 1 cup yellow onions or shallot, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 4 cups One Degree Organics Sprouted Rolled Oats
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
- ¼ cup olives, sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs of choice for garnish
- In a medium sized pan, sauté onion and garlic with olive oil for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine sautéed veggies and all remaining ingredients.
- Let sit for 10 minutes so oats can absorb the liquid.
- Add to a 9 x 12 baking dish and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 22-25 minutes, until top is lightly browned and middle is cooked through.
- Serve with extra marinara on the side!
These savory oats could also be great with vegan shredded cheese mixed in or Parmesan for those who eat dairy.
PIN the post! >>
Weigh in: Have you ever made a savory oatmeal? Will you try this Pizza Oat Bake?
*This post is sponsored by One Degree Organics. I thank you for your support of Whitney E. RD-approved partnerships that make this website possible.
FYI, to ensure 100% transparency with their production, One Degree Organics allows you to track all of their products right to the source – another reason I love this company!