Vegan Tortilla Casserole + Cashew Cheese Sauce
This Vegan Tortilla Casserole is delicious and filling and perfect for social gatherings or just a quick weeknight dinner!
I love cooking. Especially trying out new recipes. But cooking for my hubby and my son is one thing – bringing a homemade dish to party is another story.
When I cook for people other than my family, I want to make sure it’s REALLY good, especially for people who think eating Predominantly Plant-Based means eating lettuce all day.
This means when I go to gatherings or potlucks, I have a few go-to dishes. And this Vegan Tortilla Casserole is one of them. It’s an easy meal that can be made ahead of time, and it’s loved by plant-eaters and meat-eaters alike.
My favorite part about this dish is that you can customize it to include your favorite beans or veggies. I used black beans and red beans, but pinto would also work well. The great thing is, you can really add in whatever you have on hand. You can also sub corn tortillas for a gluten-free option.
Plus, this casserole can be made ahead of time and just heated up for a quick dinner on busy weeknights. It only takes about 30 minutes to make, and it’s great for adults and kids.
Depending on how much time and patience you have, you can make the Cashew Cheese Sauce below, or you can use vegan cheese shreds.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 2 cans beans, rinsed (I used black and kidney)
- 2 cups butternut squash, roasted (can buy frozen and defrost)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (or corn tortillas if gluten-free)
- vegan shredded cheese or cashew cheese sauce (see below)
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine Cashew Cheese ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large pan, sauté onion, garlic, and cumin in olive oil.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, squash, kale, and salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- In a 9 x 12 baking dish, layer 2 tortillas, ¼ of casserole mix, and ¼ cup vegan cheese or cashew cheese sauce.
- Repeat 3 more times.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and vegan sour cream.
And if I’m bringing dessert to a party, I opt for either these Raspberry Vegan Cinnamon Rolls or 3-Ingredient Cookies.
PIN the post! >>
Weigh in: What are your go-to potluck dishes? Will you try this Mexican-style casserole?