Vegan Tofu Parmesan
Can I bake this vegan tofu parmesan?
Yes! You can totally bake it if you’d prefer (see instructions below), but keep in mind that a little healthy fat from olive oil is great for both kids and adults and not a problem as a part of a balanced diet. For more info on this topic, check out my video on oils! >>
What Kind of Tofu Should I Use for Vegan Parmesan?
I recommend using extra-firm tofu to get the optimal texture and flavor from your tofu parmesan.
Do I Need a Tofu Press For this Recipe?
No – you can simply use two plates and a heavy jar on top. If you do want to opt for a tofu press, I love this one, but any press will do!
Is Tofu Healthy?
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup soy milk
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or sub another teaspoon garlic powder)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place the flour on a plate or shallow dish.
- Pour the soy milk into a separate shallow dish.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the cashews, yeast, basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper until it is fine and flaky, taking care not to over-process.
- Add the panko and pulse 1-2 times to incorporate it.
- Pour the mixture onto a third plate or shallow dish.
- Make two cross-section cuts through the middle of the tofu cutting it into three rectangles. Then cut each at a diagonal so you have six triangle-shaped pieces. Pat them dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium.
- Dredge the tofu in the flour, coating all sides, and shaking off any excess.
- Next, the dip tofu into the soy milk, shaking off excess milk.
- Lastly, the dip tofu into the panko mixture, coating all sides.
- Repeat with each slice.
- Fry the tofu for about 2-3 minutes per side until golden and crispy. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.**
- Serve immediately with pasta and marinara sauce.
PIN the post! >>
Weigh-in: Have you had vegan tofu parmesan before? Will you try this recipe?