Vegan Blueberry Muffins
These light and fluffy vegan blueberry muffins are made with healthy whole grains and sweetened with just a hint of maple syrup.
Is there anything more pleasant in the morning than a blueberry muffin with your coffee?
Perhaps, a massive stack of warm pancakes…but I digress.
There’s just something so comforting about blueberry muffins.
I’ve been spending a lot of time as a new mom wandering around the house in PJs bleary-eyed from a lack of sleep, so comfort is something I’ve been trying to stock up on. And with berries on sale for the summer, muffins have been on constant rotation in our house.
My muffin kick started about a month ago with some chocolatey muffins I found online. From there I moved on to banana bread muffins, which were gobbled down in a matter of days. Then two weeks ago I tried out a batch of strawberry muffins from Cookie + Kate.
They were incredible and inspired me to create my own berry-filled breakfast treat.
With about two pints of blubs on hand, these vegan blueberry muffins were born.
These vegan muffins are made with whole wheat pastry flour and oats, providing a hefty dose of belly-filling fiber. The recipe uses chia “eggs” in place of regular eggs and a mashed banana for sweetness and moisture.
Olive oil provides heart-healthy fat while a touch of maple syrup finishes off the flavor. If you’re not vegan, feel free to sub the maple for honey if you prefer.
You can also totally swap in your favorite berry of choice, but you may need to adjust the liquid as strawberries have a higher water content than blueberries.
If you love muffins as much as our family, I suggest doubling the recipe. These lasted us about two and a half days :)
- 1¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 chia eggs (2 tablespoons chia seeds + 4 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- ¼ cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, including the chia "eggs."
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, taking care not to overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Distribute batter evenly into an oiled muffin tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes before enjoying.
Looking for more healthy vegan breakfast recipes? Try these! >>
PIN the recipe! >>
Weigh-in: What’s your favorite type of muffin? Will you try these vegan blueberry muffins?