Easy Vegan French Toast
Vegan French toast — a simple recipe that is perfect for lazy weekend mornings.
This vegan French toast is easy like Sunday Saturday morning.
Slice, swirl, dunk and drop — those are the directions. It’s the kind of recipe that takes minimal effort or brain power yet reaps a sweet reward.
I came up with it this weekend on a whim.
Usually, weekends = waffles in our house. But on Friday, my husband brought home a loaf of my favorite naturally-leavened, organic whole-wheat sourdough bread from Clark Street Bakery in downtown LA, and I didn’t want a crumb to go to waste.
French toast — obvi — I thought as I stumbled bleary-eyed into the kitchen Saturday morning. Alas, I was out of a key ingredient: eggs.
No worries, flax to the rescue.
I quickly whisked together a few breakfast recipe essentials — ground flaxseed, banana, soy milk, almond extract (as I was also out of vanilla) — and let the chewy hunks of whole grains sop up the goodness.
The beauty of this recipe was I didn’t even measure the ingredients yet they came together seamlessly.
Don’t worry, when I made it again Sunday (because if one day of vegan French toast is good, two days is better), I measured them out so I could be sure it would work when I shared it with you guys.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond, soy or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon almond extract (or vanilla, maple, etc.)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 4-6 slices whole grain bread (can sub gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- maple syrup
- peanut butter
- hemp seeds
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water. Let sit for about 3 minutes.
- In a medium, shallow bowl, mash banana.
- Add flax mixture, milk, extract, cinnamon, whisk together. Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
- Dunk bread and thoroughly coat with mixture.
- Warm coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Cook toast for about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Add toppings and serve immediately.
PIN the recipe >>
Weigh in: What is your favorite weekend morning meal? Will you try this vegan French toast?