Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
These vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sliders are easy, delicious, plant protein-packed and the perfect entree to make for Father’s Day. Plus, I’m also sharing an IGTV video with tips on going plant-based for men!
Transitioning to a plant-based diet can be difficult, especially for guys, but it doesn’t have to be. In honor of Father’s Day, I’m sharing two things to make plant-based eating a little easier for you or the men in your life. 1. This insanely scrumptious recipe for vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sliders and 2. Tips on eating plant-based, tailored specifically to men (see video below).
One of the most common reasons some guys are reluctant to go plant-based (other than the myth that plants don’t have enough protein – see my myth-busting post on that here) is that many dudes don’t want to give up their favorite foods.
I get it. I didn’t want to either! Luckily, I’m not here to take away your favorite foods, I’m here to offer healthy alternatives that don’t compromise on taste, hence why I created these juicy, delicious vegan BBQ jackfruit sliders.
If you’re familiar with plant-based alternatives, you may have seen jackfruit used as a vegan meat substitute before. It’s got a mildly sweet flavor, some describe it as tasting like pulled pork, and stringy texture that resembles shredded meat. It’s used in all kinds of dishes from tacos to carnitas to gyros.
While it has tons of awesome qualities, jackfruit is low in protein. And although (as I mentioned) it’s not hard to meet protein needs on a plant-based diet, I do prefer to always include a protein-rich ingredient in my meals. So, I added lentils to my BBQ jackfruit base!
The jackfruit combined with the lentils and BBQ sauce make these vegan sliders so tasty and gives them a meaty texture that even omnivores will love. Served with homemade slaw on top and pineapple on the side, you get the perfect combination of BBQ flavor, crunch, and tang.
These make the perfect entree for your summer BBQs and Father’s Day celebrations. And I highly recommend serving them up with a side of my Vegan Potato Salad.
Vegan BBQ Lentil Jackfruit Sliders
Serves: 12-16 sliders
Lentil Jackfruit "Meat"
- 2 14-oz cans jackfruit (or 1½ 20-oz cans)
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup packed shredded carrot (1 large carrot)
- 1 cup packed shredded cabbage￼
- 2 tablespoons ￼vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons mustard
- vegan dinner rolls (I used Little Northern Bakehouse)
- sliced pineapple
Lentil Jackfruit "Meat"
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and use a fork or your fingers to roughly pull the jackfruit apart.
- Add the jackfruit to a saucepan along with the lentils and water￼￼.
- Bring to a boil, and let simmer uncovered for 20-25 min, or until lentils are soft and the water has evaporated.
- Stir in the BBQ sauce, breaking up any remaining chunks, and let simmer for 3 more minutes￼, adding more water if the mixture starts to stick to the pan.
- While the lentils and jackfruit are simmering, mix all of the coleslaw ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until the mayo, mustard, and vinegar are evenly mixed throughout.
- Cut the dinner rolls in half horizontally, and pile high with the lentil/jackfruit "meat", coleslaw, and pineapple, and enjoy!
If after trying these sliders, you or a loved one still needs some convincing on why going plant-based is easy and delicious for dudes, I’m also excited to share with you this special Father’s Day IGTV video!
In this video, I interview my friend CJ, aka The Vegetarian Dude, on helpful tips for dudes interested in going plant-based or those trying to get the man in their life to make the transition.
Some of the things CJ dishes on include:
- Common roadblocks for men going plant-based
- Tips on transitioning to a plant-based diet
- Meal planning/prep tips
- Easy kitchen hacks for busy or kitchen-illiterate dudes
- His favorite dude-friendly plant-based recipes
View this post on Instagram
Bonus – here’s another scrumptious option for Father’s Day… (which would also go great with the sliders!)
PIN the post! >>
Weigh-in: Have you tried jackfruit before? Will you try these vegan BBQ jackfruit sliders?
IF YOU’RE INSPIRED BY THIS POST MAKE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG #WHITSKITCH - I'D LOVE TO SEE!