45-Minute Total Body Band Workout
A few of my favorite fitness blogger friends and I came up with this awesome, total body band workout that you can take with you on your summer travels!
This past weekend, I attended the yearly IDEA World BlogFest Conference in Las Vegas with a bunch of my blogger friends that I met earlier this year at the Propel Co:Labs event in New York.
Like that trip, it was a total blast — a whirlwind of fun, sweaty workouts, fabulous food and drinks, and major female bonding.
This year’s highlights:
- Watching Dr. Michael Greger speak about preventing chronic disease. To say I’m obsessed with his work is an understatement, and getting to meet him in person and having him sign my copy of “How Not To Die” was pretty epic.
- Learning weight lifting tips from exercise physiologist Len Kravitz, Ph.D. Tip: It’s all about that eccentric movement (when the muscle is elongating). For example, on a biceps curl, Kravitz recommends a one-second contraction (lifting) followed by a 3-4 second release (lowering) to optimize muscle building.
- Trying the new Strong by Zumba workout. I’d admit, I was pretty bummed when I realized we weren’t dancing, but this new routine matches high-intensity moves with customized music for a very fun and intense workout.
- Enjoying the company of an amazing group of like-minded, inspiring women!
One morning, when we shockingly didn’t have a workout scheduled for the day, the ladies and I decided to create our own. Using just an exercise band we got in a gift bag (they cost $5 on Amazon), we came up with a 45-Minute Total Body Band Workout that you can do anywhere.
Each of us came up with a section of the workout: cardio burst, arms, legs, abs, and a cool down. Since you know I’m always eager to get flexy (hello, dancer pose) I was tasked with the cool down/stretching portion of the routine.
To try our full workout, visit each of the ladies’ blogs for their portion. Here’s the rundown:
- Start with a Cardio Burst from Amber of Every Once in a Style
- Move on to Arms with Jeana of A Sweat Life
- Get that booty burn with Legs from Taylor Walker Fit
- Follow it up with Abs from Torey’s Treasures
- And finish up with Cool-Down with me!
Stretch #1: Hamstring Stretch.
Use the band to pull your chest as far forward as possible.
Stretch #2: Shoulder Stretch.
Hold the band behind your back, then hinge at the waist, folding over and letting your arms drop overhead.
Stretch #3: Hip Flexor Stretch.
Bend one leg and cross the other on top, knee to ankle. Loop the band around the extended foot and use to deepen the stretch.
Stretch #4: Triceps Stretch.
Use the band to connect your hands behind your back, stretching the triceps of the top arm.
I hope you guys will try this out the next time you’re looking for an easy, do-anywhere workout!
FYI, if you want to work out with all of us in person, we’ll all be attending the Propel Fitness Festival in LA on August 12-13th!
This two-day event is going to be off the charts.
The festival features live performances from artists like Big Boi, guest appearances from celebrities like Shay Mitchell (any PLL fans out there?), and workouts with LA’s top trainers including Gunnar Peterson and Harley Pasternak.
My favorite LA fitness studios will also be making an appearance: Playlist Yoga, Prevail Boxing, and Speedplay, as well as visiting sweaty friends like Yoga For Bad People, The Class, and Get Fit With Giddy.
But I’m actually going to do you one better…
I have five FREE passes to the festival and I’m going to share them with you guys! If you want to win one of them, follow me on Instagram for details. I’ll be doing a giveaway sometime in the next week!
Weigh In: Will you try this band workout? Any interest in coming to LA for the Propel Fitness Festival?!
PIN the workout to try later! >>
*This post is sponsored by Propel but all opinions are my own.