Roasted Radish Greens + Grains Bowl
This warm grain bowl features roasted radishes, sautéed radish greens, filling brown rice, and spiced chickpeas for a hearty bowl that is full of flavor, color, and nutrients.
Radishes are an underappreciated vegetable. For example, when asked to name your favorite veggie, who in the history of time has ever enthusiastically proclaimed: “Radishes!”
No one, ever.
Sure they’re pretty, and they add a nice peppery crunch to salads, but they’re just not as enticing as more flavorful picks like butternut squash, carrots or tomatoes — especially in fall/winter.
Despite their side-kick status though, radishes actually possess some lead veggie qualities. One, they’re a good source of vitamin C. Two, radish greens are a rich source of polyphenols (phytochemicals that help fight disease) and may help support digestion.
Anyway, I had some leftover radishes in the fridge from taco night recently and figured I’d try to bring out their full potential. In an effort to reduce waste and maximize the rad(ish)cal benefits, I opted for a recipe that not only featured the roots but the radish greens as well.
This Radish Greens and Grains Bowl is super tasty and easy to make.
Turns out that radish greens taste excellent sautéed, just like any other leafy veggie. Meanwhile — cool, crunchy radish roots are easily transformed into a fall comfort food by way of roasting.
Salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice are the simple flavor boosters in this whole foods-highlighting dish.
Tossed with hearty brown rice and lightly seasoned chickpeas for protein, the combo makes for a warm, filling, plant-based bowl. The whole thing comes together easily, in just 15 minutes, and requires minimal ingredients.
Try it out the next time you’re looking for something to do with your left over radishes or radish greens.
- 1 small bunch of radishes, greens intact (about 6-8)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked (or grain of choice)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- carrot ribbons
- vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Wash radish roots and greens. Remove greens and set aside.
- Trim radish roots and cut in half. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place cut side down on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 12 minutes.
- Roughly chop radish greens. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute garlic for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Add greens and toss to coat with oil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until greens have wilted. Add half the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss sautéed greens with rice and additional lemon juice. Set aside.
- Rinse chickpeas. Toss with coriander and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add chickpeas. Cook for about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Distribute rice between two bowls. Distribute chickpeas and roasted radishes on top. Garnish with carrot ribbons and/or vegan parmesan.
Fyi, any grains will work for this recipe — you can try subbing buckwheat, farro, wheat berries, ect. Also, the carrot ribbons are really just for flair. They add a nice crunch too but they’re not absolutely necessary if you’re in a rush.
For even more flavor, try this grain bowl with a lemon tahini dressing >>
Looking for more warm fall bowls? Try this Sweet Potato + Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl:
PIN the recipe! >>
Weigh In: Do you like radishes? Have you ever tried cooked radish greens? What’s your favorite vegetable?