Five Things Friday – A Few Facts About Me
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting a few healthy living bloggers that I’d connected with online, but never actually met outside the webosphere.
I got to chat with the hilarious Arman of The Big Man’s World, who is visiting from Australia, the lovely Sophie, founder of the superfood blends Philosophie, and of course my good pal Gigi of Gigi Eats Celebrities.
Meeting people after reading their blogs for a while is very interesting.
You think you have a solid idea of what someone is like, and then you interact with them face-to-face and experience so many other facets of their personality. It just shows you that people are so multi-dimensional and you really can’t get the full picture from what they choose to share with you online.
Which brings me to today’s post.
I usually don’t take part in random questionnaires — unless they’re super important like “Whose Butt Are You Anyway” (I got “Beyonce’s Booty,” in case you’re wondering).
But when fellow healthy living blogger Ashley from A Lady Goes West tagged me in a survey about my favorites, I thought “Why the heck not,” it’s Friday and I’m feeling candid.
Hopefully you find this list informative, a tad funny and you finish feeling like you know me a little better.
I switched up the questions Ashley posted a bit to incorporate a few health/fitness related topics and I challenge all of you to pick one and answer below – because I want to know about YOU too.
Five Names People Call Me Other Than Whitney:
- Whit – everyone, even strangers, seem to think they’re on a short-name basis with me.
- Whitters – my parents.
- Wild Whitney – college. My roommate was “Hot Heather.” We made a killer combo.
- Whiny Whitney – when I’m cold or hungry, which is approximately 85% of the time.
- English Muffin – my besty CrisGib.
Five Jobs I’ve Had:
- A “Soda Fountain Girl” at Sonic – yes, the drive-in fast food restaurant.
- Weight Room Monitor at the University of Arizona Student Rec Center – Need a spotter?
- Lifeguard – No, I’ve never saved anyone.
- Waitress at “Bisonwitches” – a soup & sandwich meets Coyote Ugly type of joint. Yes, there may have been some impromptu bar top dancing. No, it was not a job requirement.
- Swim Team Coach – fearless leader of the Purple Heart Penguins.
Five Movies I’ve Watched More Than Once:
- Great Expectations – my dream love scene: kissing in the rain.
- The Beach – vintage Leo.
- Clueless – “You see how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my feet.”
- My Best Friend’s Wedding – this movie’s soundtrack defined my junior high years.
- A League of Their Own – a powerful story of female friendship and sisterhood – and some raunchy scenes from Tom Hanks.
Five Books I’d Recommend:
- The Great Gatsby – classic, amazing.
- The Picture of Dorian Gray – a haunting, cautionary tale about putting too much weight on beauty, youth and image.
- Me Before You – a sweet, contemplative love-story.
- The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. – dating, from a man’s perspective.
- Why Men Love B*tches – if you’re single, read this NOW. Seriously, go get it.
Five Favorite Places I’ve Been:
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Sabi Sands Reserve, South Africa
- Lake Petén, Guatemala
- Il Sentiero degli Dei (The Hike of the Gods), Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Ambergris Caye, Belize – and I’m going back soon for a very special occasion, hint hint!
Five Things I Could Eat Exclusively For the Rest of My Life:
- Sushi/Sashimi – brown rice salmon avocado rolls preferably.
- Croissants – can someone come up with a really healthy whole wheat version, please?
- Frozen Yogurt – with dairy, without dairy, made of bananas, made of almonds – I’ll take it all.
- Red Wine – Petite Sirah, por favor.
- Scallops – mmmm.
Five Exercises That I Loathe:
- Cycling – I’ll admit it. I hate it, but I’ll still do it occasionally.
- Running Up-Hill – unless someone is chasing me, I’d prefer to walk uphill.
- Hot Yoga – why does it need to be so hot? WHY?
- Push-Ups – I do these begrudgingly as part of my “chest day” – but no one is going to make me enjoy it.
- Pilates – I have a real love/hate relationship with this exercise. First of all, the equipment looks like an ancient torture device (and it feels like one too). But it’s one of the best core exercises I’ve ever done.
Five Exercises I Love:
- Romanian Deadlift – that’s how I got the aforementioned “Beyonce Booty.”
- V-Ups – nothing kills the core more.
- Kettlebell Swings – when done right, another great butt burner.
- Modified Lateral Raise – carves out the delts.
- The “Lizard” – in plank, bring your knee as close to your shoulder on the same side as possible, twisting your body to meet it. Repeat on the other side. Photo below. #hurtsogood
Ok, now it’s my turn to tag 5 fellow bloggers to open up! I choose:
Jordan of The Balanced Blonde
Arman of The Big Man’s World
Gigi of Gigi Eats Celebrities
Lee of Fit Foodie Finds
Davida of The Healthy Maven