Low-Cal Coconut & Chocolate Covered Strawberries
No Valentine’s Day is complete without chocolate-covered strawberries, at least not in my book.
There’s just something so luxurious and sexy about them. No amount of roses and bon bons can compare.
Eating chocolate-covered strawberries makes me feel like I’m on an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, cruising through the Mediterranean on P. Diddy’s yacht, sipping Cristal.
OK, so that might be a stretch. But they make you feel pretty darn fabulous.
I don’t care if you’re single or you’ve been married forever, this is one Valentine’s Day tradition everyone can enjoy.
What doesn’t make you feel fabulous though: the crash from a sugar binge.
One large chocolate-covered strawberry from Edible Arrangements has 60 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 6 grams of sugar. Wow.
Sure, the 12 grams of sugar from two chocolate-covered strawberries isn’t going to kill you… but who wants to stop at two strawberries?!
So this Valentine’s Day, I created the most delicious, decadent and healthy Chocolate & Coconut Covered Strawberries that you’ve ever laid eyes on.
They only take five minutes to make, and have no added sugar besides the natural God-given sweetener in the berries.
They’re a great way to kick off a romantic evening, or the perfect passed app for your “Gal-entine’s” bash (thanks for the reference Julie)!
And, if you decide to spend the evening solo, these are also an amazing way to #TreatYoSelf!
Chocolate & Coconut Covered Strawberries
15-20 Large Strawberries
1 T. Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 T. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Stevia (to taste)
1 T. Unsweetened Coconut Shreds
1 T. Cacao Nibs (optional)
1. Wash and dry your big, beautiful berries.
2. Combine coconut oil (which is hard at room temperature) and cocoa powder in a small dish and microwave for 15 seconds. *Anti-microwave? You could warm it on the stove instead.
3. Spray a serving tray with cooking spray (to prevent sticking) and line up your berries. Drizzle the chocolate on top.
4. Quickly, before the coconut oil dries and hardens, sprinkle with the coconut shreds.
5. The “chocolate sauce” will dry pretty quickly, so there’s no need to refrigerate unless you’re saving for later. Garnish with cacao nibs, pop some champs, and feed to your lover, your friend, or yourself!
Total Calories: about 10-15
Calories will vary depending on the size of the berry and how much chocolate actually lands on them — do you have good aim? You can also actually dip the berries in the chocolate if sauce if you like to fully coat them like a traditional chocolate-covered strawberry.
As you can see in the pictures, this sauce isn’t as thick as pure chocolate and comes out as more of a glaze. However, a little goes a long way!
Wishing all of my sexy friends, family, and readers who are like family, an absolutely fabulous V-Day! xoxo