Cheesy Salsa Chicken + Green Bean Bake
The simplicity of this recipe is amazing.
With only six ingredients and about an hour, you could be enjoying this incredibly flavorful one-dish recipe.
No sink full of dirty pots and pans. No time spent prepping. You just drop the ingredients in a dish, pop it in the oven, and you’re good to go.
This recipe is derived from one of my mom’s specialties and I didn’t have to change much, as it was pretty healthy to begin with. One important thing I did do though was swap out the brown rice.
After finding out about arsenic in brown rice last week, I’ve been trying to limit my exposure. So instead of using rice as this originally called for, I used red quinoa. I also opted for organic frozen green beans instead of canned, like my mom used.
Nutritionists say flash frozen veggies retain the same amount of vitamins as fresh, both of which are more nutrient-dense than canned.
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, raw
- 2 C. Green Beans, frozen
- 2 C. Salsa
- 1 C. Quinoa
- 1 C. Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 C. Shredded White Cheddar Cheese, part-skim
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Slice or cube chicken breasts and layer over quinoa.
- Pour green beans over chicken, breaking in half any extra long beans.
- Pour salsa over chicken.
- Cover dish with tinfoil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- If any liquid remains, try to carefully pour it off. Top the dish with cheese and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
With the perfect balance of lean protein and complex carbs, this dish is great post-workout grub.
It also makes awesome leftovers that can easily be reheated, and taste just as amazing as the first meal.
It may not be the prettiest meal presentation-wise, but everyone loves a hot mess — right?