Mini Chicken Sliders & Zesty Zucchini Salad
I am so pleased to announce that the first Fit & Funny Foodies Cook-A-Long went off without a hitch.
Well, unless you count the fact that Gigi and I looked like toddlers eating spaghetti as a hitch (you’ll have to watch the video to see what I mean).
Other than that, it went great!
Mini Chicken Sliders and a Zesty Zucchini Salad.
If you’re unfamiliar with Lorna Jane, it’s an incredibly adorable women’s athletic wear line from Australia that’s spreading it’s positive message — and eye-catching colors —like a wildfire through the red, white, and blue.
I got to meet the namesake of the company, Lorna Jane Clarkson, this past weekend when she dropped down in L.A. for a fun and sweaty workout with Christine Bullock, who was dubbed the “Hottest Trainer of 2013” by L.A. Racked.
The event was such a blast and left me even more motivated and inspired to get 2014 off to a healthy start… namely with these two super clean and tasty recipes.
The first is Mini Chicken Sliders. I’m really developing an obsession with mini stuff, huh? You guys let me know if this starts to become a problem.
Mini Chicken Sliders
1 lb Ground Organic Chicken
1/2 Red Chili, thinly sliced
12 Chive Stalks, finely chopped
1 Carrot, grated
1 T. Tamari
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl.
3. If you have time, let the mixture sit in the fridge for a bit (covered). If not, form the mixture into little patties (about 15).
4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. Toast some whole wheat mini buns and load up your burgers with your favorite toppings!
Some topping ideas: avocado, sprouts, pickles, tapenade (Gigi’s fav), ketchup & mustard (duh), or even salsa. If you’re on a low-carb kick, you can use lettuce or portobello mushrooms instead of a bun, or simply scoop out the bun’s filling.
You could also just toss your patties on top of a salad.
What do you know, I have the perfect one right here…
Zesty Zucchini Salad
1/3 C. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Chilli, chopped
4 Green Zucchinis
1/2 C. Fresh Basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 C. Mint Leaves
Freshly Shaved Parmesan Cheese, to taste
1. Clean your zucchinis and chop off the ends. Use a sprializer (demonstration in the video) to turn zucchinis into fettucini noodles. Or if you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler to thinly cut the zucchini into delicate slices.
2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and chili in a small bowl.
3. Mix together the zucchini, mint, and basil, then top with the dressing.
4. Toss yo’ salad!
5. Sprinkle with as little or as much Parmesan as you like.
These mini burgers make the perfect alternative to greasy Super Bowl snacks and the salad is so much better than a bowl of potato or pasta salad loaded with mayo.
For more detailed instruction on how to make these de-light-ful dishes, watch the Fit & Funny Foodies Cook-A-Long:
Next month Lorna Jane and Fit Approach are hosting a month-long “Move Nourish Believe” blogger challenge where one lucky winner will take home a $1000 LJ shopping spree. Head over to the Fit Approach Facebook page to RSVP!
*This post is linked to GetHimFed.