Quick Chickpea Coconut Curry
This chickpea coconut curry comes together in less than 30 minutes — it’s an incredibly quick and easy weeknight meal!
My husband calls me a whirling dervish in the kitchen.
Recipe creation for me usually follows this disorderly pattern: I grab whatever seemingly complimentary ingredients I have on hand, begin cooking and chopping at the same time (a major no-no for all the “mise en place” abiding cooks out there), and then throw everything together in a manic, haphazard way, hoping that they mesh well.
Sometimes it works, sometimes you end up with pudding instead of cake.
This chickpea coconut curry was the result of one such chaotic kitchen event that went incredibly well.
I pretty much just began adding one ingredient after another to my stock pot until it had the taste and consistency I desired.
Sweet potatoes, sure. Kale, why not. Coconut aminos for a hint of savory sweetness, yeah baby.
The beauty of this recipe is that you really can’t mess it up. Since my first discovery of this no-fuss process, I’ve made it several times in a similar fashion, with no regard to prep, and it came out just as tasty.
You can add any vegetables you like and it will result in the same medley of plant-based perfection.
The coconut milk brings the dish together with a rich, creamy texture and flavor that is out of cocontrol delicious.
Serve it over a bed of quinoa for an extra dose of plant protein.
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, until browned.
- Add chickpeas and cook for another minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot except for the cornstarch, and mix together.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- For a thicker curry, remove the lid and stir in the cornstarch.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
Fyi, if you’ve been worrying about consuming coconuts since the recent release of the American Heart Association’s report on saturated fat, don’t fret. I’ve got a great review of the evidence coming out soon to ease your fears.
In the meantime, please enjoy your coconut and this delicious coconut curry in moderation, as with all food!
PIN the recipe >>
Want more easy vegan and vegetarian dinner ideas? Try these! >>
Weigh In: Will you try this chickpea coconut curry recipe? What’s your cooking style — are you an organized, conscientious cook or a whirling dervish like me?